100 Things About Me
July 27, 2007
This is a work in progress, and will continue to evolve….
** UPDATED January 2015 **
100 Things About Me
1. If potatoes were an illegal substance, I’d be in trouble.
2. I get cats. And they generally get me.
3. I love movies, books, theatre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Musicals & Comedy.
4. I finally met Ben Affleck. He’s as nice as he is handsome.
5. I’m an explorer & tour guide at heart.
6. It’s Shephard, not Shep – unless you’re French, then you can call me Sheppy, if you like.
7. I’m really fond of Paris.
8. “Never give up on a dream because of the time it will take you to accomplish it; the time will pass anyway.” ~Earl Nightingale
9. Ding Dongs do not taste the same as they did when I was a kid.
10. “It always seems impossible until it is done.” ~Nelson Mandela
11. 2014 travels: New York, Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich… and Nairobi/Kenya Africa.
12. If you saw the way I inspect the contents of an envelope of tuna fish, you’d swear I had a background in forensics.
13. I still like ABBA.
14. “You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be someone who hates peaches.” ~Dita Von Teese
15. Fail better.
16. It’s not who you are that holds you back. It’s who you think you’re not.
17. The Big Picture is importnat to me. It’s also my fave Elton John CD.
18. The book “Loving What Is” made me relax a lot.
19. I love French. I can read it fairly well, just can’t carry on verbally that well.
20. Syd the Sloth makes me laugh.
21. Kyoto reminded me a little bit of Barcelona.
22. My cats remind me to stop and breathe and be.
22. Walking is my religion.
23. We love the pace and style of Palm Springs.
24. Pinterest… oh yes, you’ll find me there.
25. “And tho scary is exciting, nice is different than good.” ~ITW
26. I love my Kindle.
27. “Comparison is the thief of joy.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
28. My favorite Broadway Musicals: Into the Woods, Next to Normal, [title of show], Triumph of Love
29. “Give a damn. Many damns. More damns than anyone.” ~Alexis Ohanian
30. My cats think I’m a good dancer.
31. I’ve learned to cherish things left unsaid.
32. “I don’t think there’s an artist of any value who doesn’t doubt what they’re doing.” Francis Ford Coppola
33. I love the sunshine and the water, but I don’t sunbathe or swim in the ocean. Yeah, it’s a metaphor.
34. I once lived on an island.
35. “And you think of all of the things you’ve seen, and you wish that you could live inbetween.” ~ITW
36. I survived the 80’s –thankfully the photos didn’t.
37. When it’s time to move on, I do so very quietly without fanfare.
38. I love chocolate cake. Good choc. cake is hard to find. Most people make it too sweet.
39. I got married in 2008 after 21 years of living in sin.
40. My Dad lost all his teeth to a flying ashtray. See, smoking *is* dangerous.
41. LA is the only place I’ve ever felt that I truly belong.
42. As a kid, I never dreamed I’d fall in love or travel the world.
43. CONTACT, starring Jodie Foster, is my favorite movie.
… and just about any movie that strives to have an uplifting message.
44. After decorating 5 houses in 12 years, I discovered midcentury modern and fell in love.
45. Chuck Wendig makes me laugh.
46. So does Modern Family.
47. “Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something.” ~Simon Pegg
48. I miss Jim Henson.
49. “Orange is the happiest color” ~Frank Sinatra
50. As a kid, I used to sit over the floor vent in the bathroom and read books.
51. I like this quote from Bette Midler (paraphrased):
“I’d rather have a wonderful adulthood and a horrible childhood, than a wonderful childhood and a horrible adulthood.”
52. We’ve seen more than 175 musicals and plays, half of them on Broadway.
53. “The act of forgiveness takes place in your own mind. It really has nothing to do with the other person.” ~Louise Hay
54. I loved florescent crayons as a kid.
55. I love songs that tell stories.
56. “Husband” is the right word.
57. The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to.
58. I put myself through college.
59. I’m not easily star struck. But an elevator ride with Josh Duhamel in Tokyo did leave a lasting impression. On me, anyway.
60. Attending The Oscars was a lot more fun than I’d have thought.
61. I’m so proud of my husband and the films he makes.
62. I love Indian food. And Thai.
63. I avoid people who need to be right, who are addicted to validation & prestigue.
64. I collect colorful midcentury cased-glass and Cathrineholm bowls.
65. I love the movie CLUE. “Flames… on the side of my face….”
66. I’m a professionally-trained singer, but have never done Karaoke.
67. “They disappoint, they disappear, they die, but they don’t.” ~ITW
68. I got tipsy in Melbourne, Australia, and sang in a bar in front of a celebrity. Not saying who.
69. The crab in Tokyo tasted like a bbq potato chip. A bbq potato chip with legs.
70. “A party without cake is just a meeting.” ~Julia Child
71. Jason Mraz is an amazing songwriter.
72. I lived in The Boonies for all of my childhood; For me, it was soul-crushing.
73. “Wishes come true, not free.” ~ITW
74. I got married in black tennis shoes with mylar rainbow hearts and white laces.
75. An open mind is important to me. But I don’t straddle fences.
76. Songs have inspired more of my writing than anything else.
77. I generally don’t like collecting because of the thought of replacing.
78. Venice, Italy is magical.
79. CALIFORNIA: People come and go so quickly here.
80. I love scarves …and cities that like scarves… Paris!
81. We have more straight friends than gay friends.
82. The reason: it’s hard to find gay friends who are “real.”
83. “When someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time.” (M. Angelou)
84. Been fascinated by Greek/Roman Mythology since childhood.
85. I live with a Star Wars Fan. I’ve seen each movie at least 4 times.
86. Embrace who they are, not who you want them to be. The Star Wars movies, I mean.
87. My dad took me hunting, and I scared all the deer away on purpose.
86. If you support a group, you are responsible for its choices.
87. I love orange tulips.
88. “Doesn’t matter how slowly you go, so long as you don’t stop.” ~Confucius
89. Naturally, I’ve seen every Disney Animated movie ever made. But I’m not irrationally devoted to Disney.
90. My faves: “Sleeping Beauty,” “Cinderella,” “Lilo & Stitch,” Emperor’s New Groove,” “Bolt” & “Tangled.”
91. I’m optimistic by determination.
92. My favorite Pixar film: Ratatouille.
93. Cynicism is apathy & fear disguised as “cool.”
94. “You’re so nice. You’re not good, you’re not bad, you’re just nice.” ~ITW
95. Fave movie in the last couple years: “Midnight in Paris.”
96. No regrets in life. Just lessons learned.
97. I’m a published author. It took a long time.
98. I love board, card and party games. But a relationship is no place for games.
99. I write what I feel. And I don’t really feel straight. Go figure.
100. I will always believe things I cannot prove.
Because lack of proof… isn’t proof either.
101. Bonus Quote that means a lot to me:
“You have to pick up the mantle.
Whatever your mantle is in life,
whatever you’ve been dealt,
you have to pick it up and wear it well….
Be your authentic self.
That’s the toughest thing to do.”